Dave Perkins is the Founder and former CEO of High West Distillery, a craft whiskey producer. He sold the company in 2016 after 12 years to Constellation Brands for $160 million. He had a successful career in biotech marketing prior to that. He lives in Park City, Utah.
Some interesting insights from this episode:
- Learn how his biotech background prepared him for building a whiskey business from scratch.
- He moved to Utah to start the company despite the state’s tight liquor laws.
- He chose to become a distiller, not just a blender, despite the much larger investment and longer waiting period.
- Learn how good contingency planning can help mitigate risk in a startup.
- In addition to hard work, good planning and a distinctive product, serendipity played a key role in his success.
- Excellence is taking pride in your work and giving it your best.