Jon was the Founder and CEO of Krave Pure Foods, a gourmet jerky company. The company became one of the fastest growing food brands in the country and was acquired by The Hershey Company for around $220 million in 2015. Today he is the CEO of Sonoma Brands, an investor and incubator for new branded food startups. Jon lives in Sonoma, California.
Some interesting insights from this episode:
- Learn how he reinvented the entire jerky category and broadened its appeal.
- The most important litmus test as to whether a new product will succeed is simply whether it makes sense to you. If it’s a problem you can personally relate to, that’s a good start.
- The lean startup method isn’t just for technology companies but consumer packaged goods businesses as well.
- Learn how he brought a new product to the market for just $10,000.
- His experience in the ultra-competitive wine industry gave him a “PhD” in branding.
- While serendipity plays a role, there is a playbook that allows new brands to come to life.
- Excellence is an aspiration that you never quite reach. It’s a mindset.