Nicola is one of the most sought-after violinists of her generation. She is one of the most influential classical artists in the world and has played with the finest orchestras and symphonies from around the globe. She was the BBC Young Musician of the Year at age 16, twice the Female Artist of the Year at the classical BRIT awards and has sold millions of records.
Some interesting insights from this episode:
- As early as the age of 5, she was so emotionally moved by music that she would often be brought to tears while playing.
- It’s important to focus early on in life. Once you learn to push through certain barriers, you can apply that discipline to other areas in which you choose to devote your life.
- She never had any long term goals of becoming a world class violinist but rather, was always hyper focused on just improving one day at a time.
- Beyond her technical mastery, she had a natural stage presence which enabled her to take her talent to the next level.
- When she performs she enters the “flow state” whereby she becomes so engrossed in playing that she’s no longer thinking but rather, enters a period of emotional timelessness.
- Learn how she was able to top not only the classical charts but the Top 30 Pop Album charts as well.
- Excellence isn’t just about the discipline, dedication and relentless work ethic but also about being immensely curious about the larger philosophical questions outside of their areas of expertise.