Roger McNamee has been a successful Silicon Valley investor for thirty five years. He co-founded Silver Lake and Elevation Partners, two very successful private equity funds. He also plays bass and guitar in the bands Moonalice and Doobie Decibel System. He holds a BA from Yale and an MBA from Dartmouth’s Tuck School. He has written 4 books, the latest one titled Zucked: Waking up to the Facebook Catastrophe.
Some interesting insights from this episode:
- Roger had a very unusual approach to tech investing which allowed him to be highly successful.
- Learn why he started Elevation Partners with U2’s Bono.
- Hear how one pivotal meeting with Mark Zuckerberg would forever alter the course of Facebook.
- It was Facebook’s lack of anonymity that Roger felt was key to bridging the gap to a much larger mainstream audience that prior social media companies had failed to reach.
- While they are technically a platform, Facebook acts more like a media company by using sophisticated algorithms to control the content that users see on the site.
- Social media manipulates us by exploiting the weakness in human psychology.
- Learn what filter bubbles are and why they’ve contributed to our accepting and spreading false information.
- “Technology has changed the way we engage with society, substituting passive consumption of content and ideas for civic engagement, digital communications for conversation.”
- “Excellence is an outcome that reflects mastery of an activity in a time and in a place.”