Jason Belmonte is an Australian pro bowler. He has won 31 PBA titles including a record 15 major championships. He is one of two bowlers in PBA history to have won the Super Slam, winning all five PBA major titles. He has been named PBA Player of the Year seven times. He is widely considered one of the greatest bowlers of all time.
Some interesting insights from this episode:
- When he was just 10 he told his mother he planned to one day bowl 100 perfect games which he actually accomplished a couple years ago.
- He chose to pursue bowling over the more popular sports like rugby and cricket given his love for the game despite the fact that it would never be as lucrative.
- He was often teased and mocked for his two handed style of bowling but he let his impressive scores shut the naysayers down.
- His unique two handed technique allowed him to spin the ball twice as fast as most other bowlers which allowed him to strike with much greater frequency.
- He has never had a coach and has always been self-taught, learning from his own mistakes and continually improving his game.
- A turning point that allowed him to begin dominating the sport is when he shifted his mindset from being worried about failure when everything was on the line to just being in the moment and enjoying himself.
- “Excellence is working and striving toward a better version of yourself every single day.”