Bubba Watson is a professional golfer. He has won two major PGA championships, both victories at the Masters. He has a total of 12 PGA tournament wins and reached a world ranking of 2nd in 2015. He has played in the LIV Golf league since 2022.
Some interesting insights from this episode:
- Bubba never had formal lessons. He was entirely self-taught. He would just go by feel and practice over and over until he understood how to position himself and swing to achieve a certain shot.
- In college his drive to be better at golf was due to immaturity – he was mad at people. These days his drive to be better is so he can help people. Paying it forward is much more important than trying to be the best in the world.
- He built a distinguishable brand as Bubba – the new age redneck country boy, despite not hunting or dipping or smoking or country music.
- He was kind and considerate off the golf course but had a hot temper on the course. Pride and ego was eating him alive. He got caught up in the rankings and allowed that to dictate how he felt about himself.
- His first Masters victory was on the heels of adopting their first baby so allowing his mind to focus on something outside of golf removed him from the excessive pressure which allowed him to play the match of his life.
- Joining LIV Golf wasn’t about the money but an opportunity to play golf in a team format which he misses and the entrepreneurial opportunity to own a franchise in an emerging league.
- “Excellence is touching others in a way that makes their lives better. It’s giving people an opportunity to be successful.”
Personal Website: Bubba Watson
LIV site: Bubba Watson and the RangeGoats