Colin Follenweider is one of the top professional stuntmen in Hollywood. He has performed stunts in Spider-Man, Transformers, Iron Man, X-Men, Captain America, Avatar, and Die Hard and has 86 total stunt credits to his name.
Some interesting insights from this episode:
- He is one of Hollywood’s top stuntmen and has performed stunts in dozens of blockbuster films.
- It’s good to know the direction you’re heading, even if you’re not sure of the ultimate destination.
- His motto was “Action, Inspiration”. If you always wait for inspiration to hit, you’re going to keep waiting. But if you start doing something, you’re going to get inspired how to do it.
- He wasn’t necessarily the best at every kind of stunt but he could do most stunts well enough and unlike many stunt people, he was really easy going. People enjoyed hanging around him which made them want to work with him again and again.
- Stunt work is a highly collaborative effort. “Spiralling in” is when you start with lots of ideas around the outside and slowly tweak them on the way toward reaching a compromise that works for everyone.
- Even if you’re very confident in something, when you lose your nervousness about it and you take it for granted, that’s when accidents are most likely to happen.
- “The pursuit of excellence is more important than the accomplishment of saying ‘I’m excellent’. Being mildly disappointed helps the pursuit of excellence, as you’re always striving to get better.”
Great interview! Loved it. Colin was in EFX in Las Vegas when I company managed the show. I laughed at “falling down the stairs for fun!” He was SO easy. ..the stuntman were my favorites!