Erin Brockovich is the president of Brockovich Research and Consulting and the founder of the Erin Brockovich Foundation which educates and empowers communities in their fight for clean water. She was the driving force behind the largest medical settlement lawsuit in United States history. She has a newsletter called The Brockovich Report and her latest book is titled: Superman’s Not Coming: Our National Water Crisis and What We The People Can Do About It.
Some interesting insights from this episode:
- Her mother taught her not to let other’s ideas or perceptions of who she was be hers.
- “Don’t be afraid to grab something even if you don’t know where you’re going because when you do, you’ll find your way.”
- The $333 million settlement awarded to the Hinkley plaintiffs was the largest sum in a direct-action lawsuit in United States history.
- According to a 2016 report by the Environmental Working Group, two thirds of Americans are drinking water contaminated with potentially unsafe levels of chromium-6.
- “Often times we think something’s standing in our way when the only obstacle is ourselves.”
- It’s important to know what you stand for, knowing your “why”. Erin’s is the following: “I am an advocate for awareness, the truth, and a person’s right to know. I believe that in the absence of the truth, all of us stand helpless to defend ourselves, our families, and our health, which is the greatest gift we have.”
- “Excellence is when we become the best we can be and it pulls out the best in others and we pull out the best in ourselves.”
Newsletter: The Brockovich Report
Health data collection website: Community Healthbook
Personal website: Erin Brockovich