Clint Harp and his wife Kelly own their own handmade furniture design business Harp Design in Waco Tx. He was formerly a regularly recurring guest in the hit TV show Fixer Upper and currently stars in his own television series called Wood Work. His new book is called Handcrafted: A Woodworker’s Story
Some interesting insights from this episode:
- Sometimes we may hang on to a dream for too long. His original dream was to be a musician but eventually realized that he didn’t have the talent and had to accept that his life’s plan lay elsewhere.
- He quit a lucrative job in medical sales without any safety net to pursue his passion of building furniture.
- Only by being 100% honest with his wife and admitting that he was struggling with his new furniture design business was he able to earn her trust and respect which allowed their marriage to grow stronger as a result.
- Learn how a fortuitous encounter at a gas station would change the trajectory of his career and his life.
- He had a few lucky breaks along the way but everyone does. It’s what do you do with those lucky breaks that’s so critical to success.
- Learn how he became known as the dumpster-diving, reclaimed wood-loving carpenter.
- “Looking at a pile of wood on my shop floor might be one of my favorite things to do. What might appear to be a mess is really a beautiful creation just waiting to be put together.”
- “What I am is a journeyman. A dreamer. A kid who once sat at the base of a tree and imagined what was possible. A guy who now stands at the foot of the mountain trying to claw my way to the top, knowing there’s another peak right around the corner.”